All HonestRepair software is open-source covered under the GNU GPLv3 License. That means that anyone is free to download, use, modify, share, and even make profits off of our software. All we ask is that users of our software under a GPLv3 license reciprocate the changes they make back into the community by releasing their projects which utilize our code under the same GPLv3 license. That means if your software bundles our software for distribution you have to release the source code to that project and keep it licensed under GPLv3.
However, we realize that the GPLv3 licensing structure is less than ideal for large companies who wish to keep their technology closed-source, or redistribute un-attributed copies of our software. We don’t want to see potential users of our software turned away because they’re scared of our licensing. That’s why we provide several paths to obtain more permissive BSD and/or MIT licensing for most HonestRepair software.
Get BSD For Free
Most HonestRepair software can be licensed under the BSD 3-Clause License for free! BSD Licensing gives you the ability to keep your derived work closed-source. Just be sure to include the original license files in whatever you make and don’t claim endorsement from HonestRepair in your marketing materials.
To qualify for a free BSD license…
- Check our Interactive License Chooser and make sure BSD licensing is available for the HonestRepair product you’d like to license.
- Download the Source Code for the product you want to license and familiarize yourself with it. Ensure the code is capable of meeting your needs.
- Contribute to the community in some way. (Fork and personalize, improve the codebase, submit a bug, submit a vulnerability, create some documentation, ect…)
- Contact Us with your contributions!
- Receive a FREE, lifetime BSD 3-Clause License for the product.
Purchase BSD / MIT Licenses
Most HonestRepair software can be licensed under the BSD 3-Clause License or the MIT License for a reasonable fee. MIT Licensing gives you the ability to keep your derived work closed source. You can also do whatever you want with the product marketing-wise and completely forgo preserving license files (EXCEPT WHERE SUB-LICENSES EXIST).
To purchase a BSD or MIT license…